"Should I find a job that I am passionate about? The kind that inspires me to spring out of bed in the morning and taps into the "flow" mode of my psyche? Is there such a job? What would it entail? Could it be art? .. Or should I just stick to the path I am on and stick to it until I get better at it?"
I won't lie. There are many times that I felt demotivated. There was just too much that I didn't know, too much that I could not do. It left me helpless. I felt like I couldn't contribute, that I was slowing everybody down. So, I grew curious of wondering whether there was a possibility that I was not pursuing the job that I was meant to do. People kept telling me that I would've fit better as a graphic designer, a HR person, something dealing with caring for/ helping others. My MBTI was ISFP, which again suggested that I was better suited elsewhere. I wasn't firm on who I was so I fell into the "space in between" of being directionless.
To be stuck in "the in between" is mentally, emotionally and physically taxing. You fall into depression and get overwhelmed a lot. So to remedy this, I've been reading ton and tons of self-discovery and career articles over the past few weeks and discovered for myself what I believe to be the truth to this chicken and egg scenario.
There is no perfect ideal dream career. It does not exist and it is not pre-determined or fated.
Instead, if you really want a fulfilling career, you have to earn that fulfillment. These 4 steps would help:
1) Know yourself.
What are your values, skills, strengths and likes?
If you don't know what they are, you have to create some for yourself. Ask your friends and family.
In my case, I couldn't tell what mine were. I had to ask my mentor, dad, boyfriend and besties for their opinion. They said that I was kindhearted, proactive, responsible, good at design and resourceful. From there, I started a journal about developing skills and traits that I'd like to have. I want to be more conscientious, careful, relate and communicate with others better and develop adaptability to new situations. I also want to learn Chinese to help me communicate better in the workplace.
2) Select a path that can help you play up/ grow these traits and stick to it.
Become a master of those strengths and skills. My mentor advised me, "You are still young. If you are unsure about what to do, explore and try out what is it you are curious about. Research, talk to others in the same field and find out the potential outcome of that path you choose. If you decide that you don't like it, move on. Do this but not too much. Once you have found something good, stick with it no matter what the odds. It is the only way to grow."
Through experience and repeated practice, you will become a master in what you do. Then, you will become "happy and fulfilled". You will wake up in the morning knowing that you can contribute. You will have a better idea of where you are going. You can utilize those transferable skills to take you to places you never been, the greater heights you seek to climb in your youth.
Good luck to us all.
No comments:
Post a Comment